Donner Pass Road Improvements
This project consists of road rehabilitation and shoulder widening on 6.5 miles of Donner Pass Road beginning at the Soda Springs exit and ending at the Truckee town limit east of the summit. A typical road section will consist of two 11-foot lanes with 4-foot shoulders plus safety edges, except in the downhill direction on the east side due to topographical constraints. The project will also improve recreational and sightseeing access, with enhanced parking on the east side of the summit that connects to rock climbing, hiking, and biking amenities, as well as to historic and prehistoric features. Bicycling conditions will be improved with bike lanes in both directions on the west side and in the uphill direction on the east side. Enhanced pullouts and parking areas include the Rainbow Bridge parking lot, School House pullout, Star Wall pullout, Snow shed North and South pullouts, Space Wall pullout, and Black Wall pullout. During the winter the widening will also provide additional snow storage and improve access to winter recreational destinations. Nevada County received California Federal Lands Access Program (FLAP) funding for this project in 2015. The project is being managed and delivered by the Central Federal Lands Highway Division (CFLHD). More information can be found at CFLHD's website at https://highways.dot.gov/federal-lands/projects/ca/donner-pass
Preliminary construction activities begin May 2020. The project is anticipated to be fully complete by July 2022.
- November 23, 2021 - The east side of Donner Pass Road is now open and will remain open, weather pending, until next spring. The Donner Pass Road project is wrapping up loose ends at this point in preparation for winter. Only minor traffic delays are anticipated in the next week or so. We will not be doing any major construction until next spring when we start the road widening of Donner Pass Road from the Rainbow Bridge to the Town of Truckee limits. Thank you for your patience over the past two summers. Also, work on the Soda Springs Bridge is nearly complete as of November 23nd, paving is complete and striping remains to be done as soon as possible. Check out the bridge from the street view and in profile over the South Yuba River.
- November 1, 2021 - The east side of Donner Pass Road is scheduled to reopen again starting November 1, 2021, pending weather. The overall project is 75-80% complete at this time. “Paving was recently completed from the summit down to Rainbow Bridge. Minor work will continue along with the entire project until approximately Nov 15, to ensure the project is ready for winter conditions. Starting next season we’ll be working from Rainbow Bridge down to the Town of Truckee limit.” The project to widen the roadway should be completed in the Summer of 2022.
- October 6, 2021 - The Contractor for the Donner Pass Road Project, Herback General Engineering, is scheduled to have this year's paving wrapped up by mid-month. The east side of the summit will remain closed to thru traffic 24 hours a day, Monday thru Friday, until the end of the month so the crews can prep the road for winter, including placement of guardrail, snowplows etc.
- September 9, 2021 - The next phase of work on Donner Pass Road is set to begin. Road closure from the east side of Donner Summit to the Truckee Town limits is required for the next phase. The road will be closed around the clock Monday through Friday, September 14 to October 15, 2021.
- August 27, 2021- Repaving of Donner Pass Road from the Soda Springs exit to Donner Summit has begun and is anticipated to continue through September 21. AT&T crews continue to relocate utilities from the Summit toward Donner Lake. AT&T anticipates its work to conclude by September 3rd. We anticipate reopening this section of Donner Pass Road from the Summit to Donner Lake, seven days a week from September 7 through September 21. After September 21, work on the east side of Donner Summit may require closing the road again, Monday through Friday, pending weather and production. We will update the schedule once we have confirmation of the scheduled work that will begin after September 21st.
- August 2, 2021 -The Project on 6.5 miles of Donner Pass Road to rehabilitate and widen the shoulder continues to focus on rebuilding the roadway on the west side of the summit from the intersection of the Soda Springs exit on I-80 up to the summit. Although there are no road closures on this section of roadway, please expect up to 20-minute traffic delays. On the East side of Donner Pass Road from the summit to the Truckee Town limits, the roadway will be closed from 7:00 a.m. Monday through 5:00 p.m. on Friday.
- April 28, 2021 - Due to unexpected rain over the last weekend, Contractors have determined that the west side of the summit is too wet to begin work. In order to progress work, Contractors will begin working on the east side of the summit and working down to the Truckee Town limits. Donner Pass Road from Rainbow Bridge to the town limits will be closed from starting Monday, May 10th at 7:00 am through Friday at 5:00 pm and until further notice. Additional closures can be expected from the week of May 17th through June 1st extending the road closure up to the Sugar Bowl Academy in order to begin drainage work.
- April 20, 2021 - The Donner Pass Road construction project is scheduled to resume work starting May 3, 2021. Work this season will focus on rebuilding the roadway on the west side of the summit from the intersection of the Soda Springs exit on I-80 up to the summit. There will also be intermittent work on the East side of the summit to the Truckee Town limits. Hours of operation will be from 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Although there are no anticipated road closures at this time, please expect up to 20-minute delays for lane closures.
- Primarily funded through the Federal Lands Access Program.
- The budget is approximately $20 Million dollars
- CEQA completed February 2019 and NEPA completed April 2019
- Board Resolution and approval February 26, 2016
Encroachment Permits for events will not be issued during construction.