Cannabis Equity Program
Cannabis Equity Assessment Sets Foundation for Cannabis Equity Program
Equity is a key consideration as the state of California transitions the cannabis industry to legal status. Local Equity Programs are developing throughout the state in response to California Senate Bill 1294 the California Cannabis Equity Act of 2018. In order to develop a safe, legal, environmentally responsible, and thriving cannabis industry, Nevada County needs an equity program that makes sense for residents and considers the unique needs and assets of the community.
The Board of Supervisors and staff partnered with the California Center for Rural Policy (CCRP) at Humboldt State University to create a Nevada County Cannabis Equity Assessment (CEA). The purpose of this assessment is to:
- Provide a data-informed look at the history of impacts of poverty and cannabis criminalization on the community.
- Provide policy recommendations to guide the county in the development of a Local Equity Program. The program aims to help community members most impacted by criminalization and poverty to enter and thrive in the legal cannabis workforce.
- Make recommendations for future research. This research will help assure that there is equity and diversity in the emerging cannabis industry.
The Cannabis Equity Assessment will inform the program's equity eligibility requirements, which are outlined in the Local Equity Program Manual. The Program serves to further the Board Objective to maintain and continue to improve the cannabis permitting to promote permitted cannabis activities. By creating a formal process to identify those uniquely affected by past cannabis policies, staff and community stakeholders will be able to assist those most impacted, particularly smaller growers.
Cannabis Equity Program Process
- The row highlighted in GREEN indicates where we are in the process.
- The text bubble icon indicates steps in the process when public hearings will be held.
|Present Cannabis Equity Assessment and Program Manual to Board of Supervisors for Approval||Completed|
|Create Program||In Process|
|Apply For Grant Funding||Completed|
|Accept Grant Award||Completed|