Voter Registration


Registering to vote is the first step toward participation in Nevada County's election process. There are several ways in which you can become a registered voter in Nevada County, and make sure that your information stays current.


You can register to vote in Nevada County if all of the following are true:

  • You are a citizen of the United States
  • You reside in Nevada County
  • You will be at least 18 years old at the time of the next election
  • You are not currently incarcerated for the conviction of a felony
  • You have not been found by a court to be mentally incompetent

For more information on how to restore your voting rights, see our page to find out more:

For more resources on voting rights for those who have a criminal conviction, please refer to the California Secretary of State's Restore Your Vote page:

To learn more about how the laws of conservatorship protect voting rights, please refer to the Secretary of State's website

How to Register and Update Your Registration

Please make sure you register in plenty of time to vote! Your rights are important to us. 

If you've recently moved, changed your name, or want to make other changes to your registration, we might have gotten a notification from the US Postal Service or other agency. When this happens, we need you to confirm that the changes took place, so please be sure to answer correspondence from the Elections Office. We are happy to answer your questions about registration or even just help you check the status of an existing registration.

Register Online: You may register to vote online using the Secretary of State's secure web portal You have the option to select your preferred language to receive elections materials and will receive basic information about registration in California. If you want to simply check the status of your registration, you can visit

Register at DMV: Did you know that California law requires the Department of Motor Vehicles to offer registration services anytime you do business there? If you need to update your registration because you moved, the DMV is your one-stop shop to update your driver's license and your voter registration. If you're not there to update your address information, be sure to opt-out of registration services to keep your status current.

Register in Person: You may pick up a registration form at our office or at any location you see a paper registration form. Be sure to complete as much of the form as possible, sign it, and deliver it to our office as soon as possible. The regular registration deadline is 15 days before any election. But the sooner you register, the more likely you'll get all the election materials you need on time--including your ballot.

Register at a Public Service Agency: Did you know that federal and state law require public service agencies to offer registration services? In addition to the DMV, several state and local agencies must offer registration services during every transaction. Please refer to this list of registration agencies for more information:

Register When You Vote: Missed the regular registration deadline? No problem! California law allows you to submit a Conditional Voter Registration--it's a form that allows you to register and vote on the same day. We administer Conditional Voter Registrations provisionally, so that our office can verify your qualifications and count your vote.

Military and Overseas Voters

We are proud to assist our servicemen and servicewomen and their families to ensure that their voices are heard. Please visit our page on military and overseas voting here:

Pre-Registration for 16 and 17 Year Olds

Are you 16 or 17 years old and want to make sure that you're registered to vote on your 18th birthday? Does the process feel a little overwhelming? No problem! We will always take time to work with you on your form and help answer all your questions. 

You can pre-register using any of the methods specified above and our office will activate your registration on your Big 18th! If you want to read up on pre-registration, the California Secretary of State, i.e., the person who oversees elections, has a helpful information page:

Safe At Home

Certain voters facing life-threatening situations may qualify for confidential voter status. For more information, please contact the Safe At Home program, administered by the California Secretary of State

Frequently Asked Questions

(Redirects to the County FAQ page)