The Jones Fire prompted the mandatory evacuations of 3,891 residents today with another 212 residents under an Evacuation Warning (potential threat to life and/or property. Those who require additional time to evacuate, and those with pets and livestock should leave immediately) to the north and another 11,434 under an evacuation warning to the south. It is believed that the Jones Fire was a lighting start that occurred early Monday morning as overnight storms came through the South Yuba River canyon in Nevada City. CAL FIRE Nevada-Yuba-Placer Unit is reporting 340 acres and 0% containment Monday evening.
Residents who have been evacuated under a mandatory Evacuation Order (immediate threat to life and a lawful order to leave now. The area is lawfully closed to public access) should make plans to stay overnight outside the Evacuation Order area. There are three Temporary Evacuation Points available Penn Valley, Grass Valley and Truckee in Nevada County.
Temporary Evacuation Points:
- Ready Springs School: 10862 Spenceville Rd, Penn Valley, CA 95946
- Cottage Hill Elementary School: 22600 Kingston Lane, Grass Valley, CA 95949
- Alder Creek Middle School: 10931 Alder Dr, Truckee, CA 96161
Evacuation Language and Definitions:
- Evacuation Order: Immediate threat to life and a lawful order to leave now. The area is lawfully closed to public access
- Evacuation Warning: Potential threat to life and/or property. Those who require additional time to evacuate, and those with pets and livestock should leave now.
- Shelter in Place: Go indoors. Shut and lock doors and windows. Prepare to self-sustain until further notice and/or contacted by emergency personnel for additional direction.
Ready Nevada County:
Wildfire safety starts with you. Here are tips to stay ready:
- Stay situationally aware.
- Find your five. Your five allies are people that will check on you and that you can communicate with in an emergency, so they know you are safe or if you need help.
- Have your Go Bag ready. Find a Go Bag checklist on page 20 of our Ready, Set, Go! Guide.
- Use the Ready Nevada County Dashboard to find evacuation maps, Twitter feeds and recent CodeRED Emergency Alerts: www.ReadyNevadaCounty.org/Dashboard.
- Know the sound of Hi-Lo Sirens to alert you of an Evacuation Order