Request for Military Records

Qualifying for Benefits

To qualify for benefits you must have proof of discharge from your service. If you have misplaced your discharge you can order a copy. Personnel and Medical records may have information in them that will help support your claim. Request your personnel and / or medical records here.

Recent military service and medical records are not online.  However, most veterans and their next of kin can obtain free copies of their DD-214 (Report of Separation for the U.S. Armed Forces) and the following military service records:

- DD-214

- Official Military Personnel File (OMPF) 

- Replacement Medals

- Medical and Health Records

- Burials and Emergency Requests

- Natural Disaster Requests

Request your DD-214

What is I am not the veteran or next-of-kin? Can I still access files?

It depends on the date the service member separated from the military. Military personnel records are open to the public 62 years after they leave the military. (To calculate this, take the current year and subtract 62.) Records of any veteran who separated from the military 62 (or more) years ago can be ordered by anyone for a copying fee (detailed below under "cost").

But what if it's been less than 62 years?

Records of individuals who left service less than 62 years ago are subject to restrictions and only limited information or copies may be released to the general public within the provisions of the law. The Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) and Privacy Act provide balance between the right of the public to obtain information military service records and the right of the former military service member to protect his or her privacy. See Federal Records Center Program to access these records.

Cost: Most basic requirements are free but it depends on the discharge date.

Generally, there is no charge for basic military personnel and medical record information provided to veterans, next of kin and authorized representatives from Federal (non-archival) records.

Some companies advertise DD-214 research services and will charge a fee obtaining copies.  This is provided as a free service by your Nevada County Veterans Services Office services (as are all services provided).

There is a fee for records that are considered "Archival", which depends on the discharge date.  If the request is made 62 years after the service member's separation from the military, the records are now open to the public and subject to the public fee schedule (44 U.S.C. 2116c and 44 U.S.C. 2307). This is a rolling date, the current year minus 62 years.

These archival requests require the purchase of the COMPLETE photocopy of the Official Military Personnel File (OMPF):

- A routine OMPF's of 5 pages or less: $25 flat fee

- A routine OMPF of 6 pages or more: $70 flat fee (Most OMPF's fall in this category)

- Persons of Exceptional Prominence (PEP) OMPF: $80 cents per page ($20 minimum)

*Please note: if your request involves a service fee, you will be notified as soon as that determination is made.  Service fees are charged directly from the National Personnel Records Center and they will contact the applicant directly.

Request DD-214 & Other Records