Public Marriage License Requirements
Effective June 24, 2020, Due to increasing health concerns around COVID-19 in Nevada County and a recent update from the County Executive Office, the Office of the Clerk-Recorder will REMAIN CLOSED to in-person services
- We will remain available for Marriage License and Ceremony by appointment only
- All other services can be conducted by US mail
- If you have any questions, please call or email
We thank you for your understanding and we apologize for any confusion
A Marriage License must be purchased prior to your ceremony
- Cost to obtain your Marriage License $72
- It takes about 30 minutes for the license to be issued
Information Required on Marriage License Application
- Complete legal name of each party obtaining the marriage license
- If previously married, need month, day and year of dissolution/death/annulment (to the best of your knowledge)
- Need Parents' full names (Mother's maiden name)
- Need Parents' state / country of birth
Start Your Appointment
Print Name Equality Act of 2007 Form (PDF).Please sign and date the form. This must be submitted when you come in to get your marriage license.
Complete Online Application Save the confirmation number from your online application.
Send email email@example.com requesting an appointment. Please include your names, confirmation number and indicate if license only or license and ceremony. An Appointment will be set up for you and we will respond with further instructions.
- Both unmarried applicants must be present
- Both must have Valid Government photo identification, such as a driver's license or passport
- Blood tests are no longer required as of January 1, 1995
- Applicants must be 18 years and older. If either party is under 18, you must contact the Juvenile Probation Department at 530-265-1300.
- For Ceremonies, the parties to the marriage and ONE witness will be permitted
- MASKS are required to be worn
After the license is issued, it can be used immediately. You must be married by an authorized person.
You must be married within 90 days of the date the license was issued and you must be married anywhere in the State of California.