Public Marriage License Requirements
Effective May 3, 2021, Nevada County Clerk-Recorder's Office will be open to limited In-Person Appointments.
NO same day appointments or walk-ins at this time
Appointment are Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays 8:00 am to 3:30 pm Call 530-265-1221 or email NC.email@example.com for an appointment
A Marriage License must be purchased prior to your ceremony
- Cost to obtain your Marriage License $72
- It takes about 30 minutes for the license to be issued
- For Ceremonies, the parties to the marriage and ONE witness will be permitted
- MASKS are required to be worn
- Temperatures will be taken before entering the office
Information Required on Marriage License Application
- Complete legal name of each party obtaining the marriage license
- If previously married, need month, day and year of dissolution/death/annulment (to the best of your knowledge)
- Need Parents' full names (Mother's maiden name)
- Need Parents' state / country of birth
Start Your Appointment
Print Name Equality Act of 2007 Form (PDF).Please sign and date the form. This must be submitted when you come in to get your marriage license.
Complete Online Application Save the confirmation number from your online application.
Send email firstname.lastname@example.org requesting an appointment. Please include your names, confirmation number and indicate if license only or license and ceremony. An Appointment will be set up for you and we will respond with further instructions.
- Both unmarried applicants must be present
- Both must have Valid Government photo identification, such as a driver's license or passport
- Blood tests are no longer required as of January 1, 1995
- Applicants must be 18 years and older. If either party is under 18, you must contact the Juvenile Probation Department at 530-265-1300.
After the license is issued, it can be used immediately. You must be married by an authorized person.
You must be married within 90 days of the date the license was issued and you must be married anywhere in the State of California.