How to Request to Have a Matter Placed on the Board's Agenda


Any member of the public may request that an item be placed on the Board's agenda. A few things to remember:

  • The matter must fall under the Board's jurisdiction and be of interest to the public (see, "About the Board of Supervisors").
  • No issues shall be placed on the agenda that are beyond the jurisdiction and authority of a California county or that are non-essential to county government.
  • In the current economic climate, the Board has declared that its priority is to focus on Core Services, defined as: "that which is essential to the public's health and safety. Areas funded by the County in this category include roads, jail, law enforcement and required maintenance of effort to leverage state or other sources of revenue for basic public/mental health services and other social services."

Common Requests

Typical actions that are commonly requested:

  • Proclamation (such as "Annual Food and Toy Run Day" or "Constitution Week").
  • Change to County ordinance
  • Letter or Resolution of county support or opposition to proposed state or federal legislation
  • Resolution - a declaration of policy, future purpose or proceedings of the Board (contracts, MOUs, support for other entities)
  • Certificate of Recognition - not legally binding; signed by the Supervisors, may be presented at a Board meeting or informally through other means.
  • An informational update on an organization's activities or on another matter that the Chair deems appropriate for the agenda.


  • It is strongly recommended that you first contact your District Supervisor to see if he/she would carry the item before the Board. This will also help uncover any issues, questions or activities that need to be addressed beforehand. If you are not sure of your District, visit our Find Your District page.
  • It is best to submit your request to the Supervisor in writing, either by email or letter, stating the issue of concern and what you would like the Board to do.
  • If the Board member agrees to carry the item, it would still need to be approved by the Chair of the Board to be included on the agenda.
  • If the item is not jurisdictional to a specific Supervisory district, such as a proclamation or certificate you may also send your request to the Chair or the Clerk of the Board that it be placed on the agenda. It does not have to be brought by your Supervisor. However, your request should have support from a local elected official or County department head before it is considered for the agenda.

Additional Information

For more information, see How to Address the Board of Supervisors.