Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT)

Coronavirus Information: Accessing Services Remotely

  • Visit BenefitsCal.com to apply online, upload documents, renew benefits, or report changes.
  • Call 530-265-1340 if you have questions about your case or need to request a new BIC or EBT card.
  • Call 1-877-328-9677 to check your EBT balance.
  • All Medi-Cal renewals are waived until further notice. CalFresh and CalWORKs renewals may be completed without an interview in some situations.
  • Employment Services orientation can be completed online.

The Electronic Benefit Transfer Card (or EBT Card) is used like a debit card for CalFresh, CalWORKs, and General Assistance programs. Monthly benefits are loaded onto the card automatically in the first 10 days of the month. 

Getting Your EBT Card

When your case is approved, you can either pick up your EBT card in one of the Social Services offices or have it mailed to you. If you have received benefits from Nevada County in the past and you still have your old EBT card, we may be able to issue benefits to the same card if you reapply.

Card Replacement

If you've lost your card, you can come to any Social Services office to get a replacement, or call us and we can mail you a new card.

Where Can I Use EBT?

You can use your EBT card at most supermarkets, corner stores, and other grocers. You can also use your EBT card at most local farmers’ markets to purchase fresh fruits and vegetables - just ask at the farmers' market Information booth.

If you get cash benefits on your EBT card, you can withdraw cash without paying a fee at any surcharge-free ATM.

Check Your Balance

You can check your EBT balance by calling the number on the back of the card, or by logging into your BenefitsCal account.

EBT Fraud Alert

Be aware of EBT scams - never give you EBT card number or PIN to anyone. The County and State will never call or text you to ask for your EBT card information.

If you get a text message or phone call about your benefits and aren't sure if it's legitimate, do not respond - you can contact Nevada County Social Services directly at (530) 265-1340 to find out if there's anything you need to do.

If you have given your EBT card number or PIN to someone, call (877) 328-9677 right away to change your PIN, report the scam, and file a claim if benefits were stolen.

EBT Customer Service

EBT customer service is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Call the Customer Service Automated Response Unit at (877) 328-9677 to:

  • initiate a claim for stolen benefits
  • report lost, stolen or damaged EBT cards
  • report unauthorized use
  • report an ATM mis-dispense
  • verify the account balance, and/or
  • change your PIN