Once you have completed the OSSE you will continue to work with a licensed professional to apply for an On-Site Wastewater System (OWTS) Septic Permit. A Septic System Contractor must possess a State of California Contractor’s license (Type A, C-36, or C-42) to construct, enlarge, alter, repair improve or replace an individual system.
A septic permit can be applied for by the parcel owner or a licensed contractor. Note: Online submittals can only be applied for by a licensed Contractor.
Submit an Septic Permit Application (see options below):
- Option 1: Apply Online - The following is required to apply online
- Professionals Contact Information
- Site Plan showing proposed work
- Septic Design Report for non-standard and treatment systems
- Soils Evaluation Report (SER) from an On-Site Soils Evaluation (OSSE) Permit with Nevada County dated after June 1998.
- Agreement to Pay form.
- Paying your fees is the last step of your online submittal, a link is provided that will take you to a 3rd party, Lexis Nexis. You will need the balance due and permit number to make your payment. NOTE: Septic Permits cannot be applied for online as Owner/Builder
- Option 2: Apply in-house at Nevada County Eric Rood Center; 950 Maidu Ave., Suite 170 - 1st Floor - The following is required to apply in-house
- Septic Permit Application
- Site Plan showing proposed work (2 copies).
- Septic Design Report for non-standard and treatment systems (2 copies).
- Soils Evaluation Report (2 copies) (SER) from an On-Site Soils Evaluation (OSSE) permit with Nevada County dated after June 1998.
- Agreement to Pay form
- Payment made with check/cash/credit card/money order payment
Locating Your Septic System
The best way to locate your septic system is with a Septic As-Built. An As-Built shows the exact location of your septic system after installation. If you do not have this, please fill out a Public Records Request Opens a New Window. to gain access to files we have on your parcel.
Once you have your As-Built, you can use a simple method of probing the soil with a metal rod or you can hire a professional to find and trace the system's lines. We do our best to retain records of every property in Nevada County, however occasionally we do not have all records on file. If you cannot acquire an As-Built for your parcel, a professional can trace the lines for you
Septic Repair or Failure
If you have an existing septic system that is failing or needs to be repaired, please contact a Licensed Professional for a site visit. The Licensed Professional will determine the issue and will be able to advise you on the next step of the submittal process for septic repairs or new replacements.
Depending on the size of your system and how many bedrooms it is approved for, you may have to either modify your current system so it can accommodate another bedroom or convert an existing bedroom so it is not longer one. Some systems are approved for more than the current number of bedrooms. In this case, you would not have to modify your septic system. Please refer to your approved septic permit to find out how many bedrooms it is approved for.
Accessory Dwelling Units (ADU)
If you are adding a ADU, it is required to have it's own septic tank. The additional septic tank can be tied into the existing leach field if the total number of bedrooms does not exceed the number of bedrooms that the system was designed for. Please see our ADU & JADU Sewage Disposal Information Guide for more information on ADU's and Junior ADU's.
If you have any questions on additions, please don't hesitate to contact us.
Septic System Monitoring
The Nevada County Land Use Ordinance and the State of California requires Pressure Dose and Treatment Systems to be monitored annually by a Certified Septic Service Provider. Prior to finalizing of these systems, the parcel owner is required to record a Right of Entry (Maintenance and Monitoring) Agreement Opens a New Window. and apply for a Certificate of Operation (Annual Permit) Opens a New Window. for either Pressure Dose Opens a New Window. or Treatment System Opens a New Window. . Forms and fees can be found below.
- From Septic Tank to structures . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 5 ft
- From Leach field and Leach field Repair Area to structures . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 8 ft
- From OWTS to High Water Mark of Ponds, Steams, Rivers, ect.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 100 ft
- From OWTS to Wells, Including Those on Neighboring Parcels . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 100 ft
For property line setbacks, please contact the Nevada County Planning Department or your local jurisdiction Planning Department.
There are some special circumstances where all of the requirements in Nevada County's Local Area Management Plan (LAMP) cannot be met. In these cases, a variance may be used. If you wish to apply for a Septic Variance Request, please look through the Procedures for Applying for a Septic Variance prior to submitting the request. Necessary forms and fees can be found below.
Standard System Designs
See our Installation Guide to a Standard Septic System for more information.
- Septic System Permit Application
- OWTS Certificate of Operation Application
- Right of Entry (Maintenance and Monitoring) Agreement
- Septic Variance Application
- Renew a Septic Permit
- Centralized System Guidelines (Cannabis Operations)
- Installation Guide to a Standard Septic System
|OSSE Application Includes Application Fee, Review and Approval||$731.08|
|Standard Septic System Permit - Gravity Flow||$628.46|
|Non-Standard Septic System Permit *Pressure Dose, Pumped, Deep Trench, Curtain Drain, Hi-Line, Capped||$731.08|
|Non-Standard Treatment Septic System Permit *Sand Filter, *Geoflow, *Drip, *Mound, *Advantex, *Hoot, *Elgen, *Presby||$825.86|
|Maintenance and Monitoring Annual Permit (Required for all systems marked with *)||$103.70|
|Septic System Modification Permit||$628.46|
|Septic Tank Replacement Only Permit||$421.06|
|Septic Repair Permit||$421.06|
|Septic Abandonment Permit||$317.36|
|Septic Variance Request||$414.80|