Recreation Board Objective
To promote sustainable recreation in partnership with community providers and other jurisdictions to enhance recreational access, support public health and safety, realize economic opportunities, and preserve natural resource assets.
Nevada County recognizes the connection between the health of people and ecosystems, tourism and outdoor recreation, and community resilience. The County will work with our community to address challenges and opportunities for Nevada County’s open space and organized recreation priorities, furthering solutions that promote community health, safety, economic development, environmental stewardship, and resilience.
- Develop a Recreation and Resilience Master Plan to identify and advance key goals and objectives to address challenges and opportunities for Nevada County’s open space, trails and other recreational interfaces, and prioritize solutions that promote community health and safety, economic development, creative placemaking, landscape restoration, environmental sustainability, climate change adaptation, and resilience. The planning process will engage diverse partners including, but not limited to, public lands managers, nonprofit stakeholders, and user groups to plan, fund, and implement sustainable solutions. The plan will include clear identification of viable, prioritized recreation enhancement and development projects, and related funding strategies, in unincorporated Nevada County and that involve Nevada County government.
- Identify and implement strategies to promote health and safety at river crossings, lakes, trailheads, and other high-use or high-risk areas.
- Collaborate with other organizations and jurisdictions to leverage resources and coordinate efforts to drive outcomes of enhanced recreation access, health and safety, economic development, and resource conservation.
- Build capacity and support sustainability for Western County organized recreation by working with partner districts to make them viable and sustainable.
- Identify interim and long-term funding mechanisms and advocacy priorities to sustain recreation.
- Staff and manage the collaborative effort to identify immediate high-level projects, promote coordination, and support the Recreation and Resiliency Master Plan.
- Review the site and learn more about recreation programming and what is going on in Nevada County.
As the winter season sets in, Nevada County Library continues to expand this Recreation Collection. What is it that you want to do this winter season? The Library probably has a resource for you! Learn More
California State Parks Awards Over $1.1 Million to Western Gateway Recreation & Park District Learn More
The Nevada County Board of Supervisors reviewed progress highlights for the Board’s newest objective, Recreation, including recent awards totaling $415,570 in Outdoor Visitor Safety Fund Grants to community organizations. Learn More
Help ensure access to the Hirschdale area by using the parking and access points to the Tahoe Pyramid Trail and Truckee River (effective 4/8/2022). Learn More
Nevada County’s Outdoor Visitor Safety Fund Grant Program will provide up to $850,000 in one-time grants to promote public health and public safety at highly impacted outdoor recreation destinations. Learn More
The proposed Pines to Mines multi-use trail would run 68 miles in length and would connect Nevada City to Truckee, Calif. It would include existing Forest Service network trails and would involve some new trail construction. Learn More
View our most recent quarterly report to see our progress on this Board objective.