Remaining Planning Process for Idaho-Maryland Mine
The following outlines the remaining process for the Idaho-Maryland Mine – Rise Grass Valley application for a Conditional Use Permit and Reclamation Plan:
Remaining Major Milestones
- Planning Commission – Public hearing and recommendation to the Board of Supervisors (BOS) (May 10, 2023, and May 11 as needed)
- Board of Supervisors – Public hearing and decision (no sooner than July 2023)
Planning Commission Hearing Process
Staff Report and Document Preparation
The staff report is being written and will include the following components:
- Detailed Proposed Project Description including all of the entitlements requested including a Use Permit, Rezone to apply the Mineral Extraction Combing District, Reclamation Plan, Variance, Development Agreement, Management Plans, and Map Amendment.
- Analysis of the proposed Project’s consistency with General Plan Policies
- Analysis of the proposed Project’s consistency with the Zoning Ordinance requirements
- Final EIR Discussion and Summary
- Findings of Fact
- Land Use Findings for each entitlement proposed as required by Zoning Code.
- California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) Findings as required by State statute in Public Resources Code Section 15091 for certification of an Environmental Impact Report (EIR).
- Statement of Overriding Considerations (SOC) for Planning Commission consideration as part of their recommendation to the BOS.
- Conditions of Approval
- Staff Recommendation based on the findings of the staff analysis and the project’s consistency with County policies and regulations, or lack thereof, and based on the Final EIR’s determination of the Significant and Unavoidable Environmental Impacts.
Public Notification Process
- Hearing dates of May 10th and 11th, 2023, were sent out through social media and other outlets on March 23, 2023.
- An official notice of hearing in accordance with public hearing noticing requirements including mailings, newspaper publications, and emails will be issued on April 11, 2023.
- The meeting agenda, staff report, and other supporting project documents are estimated to be released the week of April 24, 2023.
Planning Commission Hearing and Recommendation to the BOS
The Planning Commission hearing to consider all Land Use Entitlements for the project is scheduled for May 10, 2023, and if necessary, may be continued to May 11, 2023. The meeting will be at the Rood Government Center and will begin at 9:00 am. Staff will begin the meeting with a presentation including a project description and then the applicant will present their description and intentions for the project. Public testimony will begin after the presentations. Parking attendants, overflow rooms, a numbering system to organize speakers, a queuing system to assist speakers, onsite security and staff will be available. The next day will pick up where the hearing left off and continue until the Planning Commission hears the testimony and deliberates. The meeting should culminate with a recommendation to the Board of Supervisors regarding the EIR, the Use Permit, the Rezone, the Reclamation Plan, and all of the entitlements requested. Staff and the County’s consultant team of experts will be at the hearing to answer any questions and respond to public comments and questions.
The Planning Commission will consider all land use entitlements requested as part of the project. After hearing public comment and deliberating, they have the ability to do the following:
- Continue the hearing to another date and time.
- Recommend approval or denial of any or all components of the proposed project
Once the Planning Commission makes its recommendation, it will be brought forward to the Board of Supervisors.
Board of Supervisors Process
Staff Report and Document Preparation
The staff report will include the same components as the Planning Commission and include the Planning Commission’s recommendation. The staff report could take some time to complete however depending on the Planning Commission’s direction. In addition, the following additional documents will need to be finalized for BOS consideration:
- Development Agreement (DA)
Board of Supervisors Hearing and Decision
The Board of Supervisors hearing will likely not be any sooner than July as it will take some time for staff to complete the staff reports and other documentation.
The Board of Supervisors will consider all land use entitlements requested as part of the project in addition to proposed ordinances, resolutions, and the DA. After hearing public comment and deliberating, the Board of Supervisors has the ability to do the following:
- Continue the hearing to another date and time (this may include requests for additional information for consideration or revisions to the project description).
- Approve or deny any or all components of the proposed project.