Help to Quit Tobacco Use
More Help Quitting
The State of California provides robust supports to help you quit tobacco via the California Smoker's Helpline, 1-800-NO-BUTTS. Whether you smoke cigarettes, chew, vape, smoke cigars or have struggled to quit in the past, 1-800-NO-BUTTS is ready to assist you. The more times you try to quit, the more likely you are to succeed.
1-800-NO-BUTTS offers one-on-one telephone counseling to support you quitting tobacco in English, Spanish, Korean, Vietnamese and Chinese, as well as texting support and educational materials to help you quit. They also have additional supports for people with Medi-Cal. These supports may change at any time, but please see below for current resources:
- Free materials through the mail focused on what to expect when quitting and guidance on what to do to quit
- 1-on-1 phone-based counseling that discusses triggers, challenges, strategies, etc.
- After you completes the first phone-based counseling session, you may be eligible for Medi-Cal to cover your patches. This is the process:
- 1 counseling session complete
- Your doctor prescribes you an eligible nicotine replacement, which can be patches, gum or Chantix
- 1-800-NO-BUTTS mails your a certificate documenting first session is complete
- You take take your Rx and the certificate to pharmacy
- For most people, Medi-Cal then covers the nicotine replacement product
- Medi-Cal coverage of the product is not guaranteed
- For Medi-Cal clients with children under five years old:
Thanks to a grant from First 5 CA, some parents of young children are eligible for free patches through the mail. Please call 1-800-NO-BUTTS to find out eligibility.
- Visit smokefree.gov for a step by step guide on smoking cessation!
- Become an EX A new way to think about quitting smoking! Learn how to live your life without cigarettes.
- Nicotine Anonymous -Phone, local and web based meetings to help you stay nicotine free!
- Stop Smoking - American Lung Association Resources to help people quit smoking.
- This Free Life LGBTQ resources for quitting tobacco use.