Promote economic development by emphasizing resiliency and entrepreneurship; retaining and attracting high quality jobs; investing in major infrastructure projects; and working with local, state and federal partners to support our small business, nonprofit, and tourism sectors.
Economic development is fundamentally about creating a thriving community for all, and encompasses programs, policies, and activities that drive sustainable economic prosperity, social equity, and community well-being. Actions include:
- Attracting and retaining employers that offer living-wage jobs
- Supporting entrepreneurs
- Ensuring underserved communities have access to opportunity
- Ensuring the overall quality of life for all residents.
- Cultivate economic diversification, sustainability, and equity: Utilize our contract with Sierra Business Council (SBC); implement tasks identified in the Nevada County Energy Action Plan; monitor and apply for climate adaptation and mitigation funds; coordinate and seek funding for planning and infrastructure development for resiliency through Community Economic Recovery Funds (CERF).
- Construct infrastructure & further projects and plans to support economic vitality: Enhance the permitting process; complete planning efforts and complete and/or assist with specific infrastructure projects.
- Support business attraction, retention, and growth: Support entrepreneurs and small businesses; sustain business technical assistance through SBC; identify capital opportunities for businesses; establish ARPA-funded revolving fund load; sustain the Nevada County Relief Fund.
- Support tourism: Enhance and maintain the Go Nevada County website and align, promote and leverage recreation initiatives in Eastern and Western Nevada County.
- Funding and advocacy: Identify, seek, and secure funding for County and partner initiatives and coordinate priority advocacy opportunities and engage State and Federal lobbyists as appropriate.
Learn More & Get Involved
- Take the Sierra Economic Development District Survey. The vital data collected will identify community priorities, drive decisions, and potentially direct funding opportunities.
- Learn more about our ongoing COVID-19 Microbusiness Grant program.
- Starting, growing, or sustaining a small business in Nevada County? Our partners at Sierra Business Council Small Business Development Center can assist with no-cost business advising on all things small business. Visit sierrasbdc.com or call 5030-582-5022. no-cost
View our most recent quarterly report to see our progress on this Board objective.